If you live in the Netherlands or visit the country for a short vacation, it will be a good idea to use a Virtual Private Network when browsing the internet. VPNs do not only ensure privacy while browsing, but also quite handy when you want to stream contents from other countries. It also protects your data when you are using public Wi-Fi. If you do not have the time to read the full article, here is a summary of the best VPNs for Netherlands.
Summary of Best VPNs for Netherlands
- NordVPN – This VPN provider has over 100 servers in the Netherlands and offers a secure and private connection. It has a no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN – ExpressVPN is a super-fast and reliable VPN that can unblock several geoblocked sites. It has robust privacy and security features.
- CyberGhost VPN – A great price and high-speed VPN that is an excellent option for streaming and downloading web content. It is easy to use.
- SurfShark – SurfShark offers excellent security and high-speed connection. It can support several platforms and unblock popular content such as Netflix.
- IPVanish – IPVanish supports torrenting. It provides an additional protection layer and allows for up to ten simultaneous connections.
The Netherlands was once a country to “VPN from” rather than a country where you needed to use VPNs. However, things have changed, and it is now essential for you to use VPN in the country. In the past, you could download copyrighted material for personal use without the fear of being charged. But the copyright body is now active and will pursue you if you download such content. The Dutch government and the Internet Service Providers, who were unenthusiastic about enforcing the law, have been forced to block Pirate Bay and adopt an aggressive approach to Dutch privacy.
The country was also considered a surveillance-free country, but the government’s adoptions of the Intelligence and Security Services Act, also known as Wiv, in 2017, cast a serious doubt. The Act gave the government surveillance powers to;
- Intercept online communication from a neighborhood if a suspect lives there
- Create a DNS database that includes all citizens
- Share your data with intelligence services.
- Hack any automated device such as smart TVs and smartphones.
Therefore, a VPN will protect your data and online activities from third-party access. It will also securely encrypt your data and protect you from hackers and snooping ISP operators.
From the above summary, you can see that the VPN has plenty to offer. It is also cheap to subscribe and use VPN services. Some providers offer different subscription plans, including monthly or quarterly. Therefore, you can subscribe according to your needs and budget. That said, you need to know that not all VPN are equal. There are factors that you need to consider before choosing the best VPNs for Netherlands.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a VP Provider
About 5% of the Dutch population have been victims of hacking, especially those who use open/public Wi-Fi networks. A good VPN should protect your online activities from cybercriminals, even in public places. As a VPN user, you will have an encrypted connection to a VPN server near you, meaning that only the VPN server and you can read the data traffic.
Although the Netherlands abolished a requirement for internet data storage in 2015, the government still looks for ways to have control over the internet. Foreign agencies such as NASA have also made news on international spying activities. Other online companies and search engines are also extracting your data for personal use. Therefore, your privacy is not guaranteed. A good VPN should hide your IP address to prevent companies from collecting your data. VPN masks IP addresses by connecting you to a VPN-server, meaning that you will enter a web page with the VPN’s IP address.
Speed and performance are additional selling points for Connecting to a VPN. A good VPN should maintain or improve your speed and performance as you use the internet. You should be able to quickly connect to the server and the data encrypted in seconds.
Best VPNs for Netherlands
NordVPN is our best VPN for Netherlands. The Panama-based VPN provider has over 5,000 servers in about 62 countries globally, including 282 servers in the Netherland. The high number of servers in the country ensures that you get a fast connection to a server near you. Most of these servers also support Onion and Tor over VPN. It is a favorite VPN among users in the Netherlands and offers an excellent package. It is ideal for both streaming and downloading online content because of its speed.
NordVPN comes with many security benefits, including no-logs policy, meaning that it does not keep logs, not even bandwidth data. It also has 256-bit encryption and a kill switch, which ensures that you are protected even if your connection drops unexpectedly. The VPN also comes with DNS leak protection for additional protection.
Although NordVPN is a bit pricy, it is worth the cost. Apart from security and speed, some servers serve specific purposes, such as anti-DDoS. You can also simultaneously connect up to six devices.
- NordVPN can unblock Netflix, Sling TV, BBC iPlayer, Showtime, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video
- It Supports torrenting because of the availability of P2P servers
- It can work on devices such as Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, Chrome, Linux, and Android TV
ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands and has over 3,000 servers across 94 countries globally, including the Netherlands. The servers are optimized for speed, meaning that connection speed is very high. You can stream content without buffering or download large files without encountering any issue.
Aside from speed, ExpressVPN will provide the security and privacy that you require while online. It has a zero logs policy and does not log any IP address, meaning that it will not track your online activities. Additionally, the VPN provider uses 256-bit encryption and perfect forward secrecy. The kill switch feature ensures your data-safety when your server connection drops unexpectedly. It also provides DNS leak-proof protection. You will also enjoy features such as “split tunneling,” meaning that you can separate the rest of your data from the VPN-protected ones.
- ExpressVPN unblocks Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, HBO, Sling TV, Showtime, and DAZN
- It supports torrenting since all of its servers support P2P activities
- Devices that the VPN can work on are Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, Android TV, Chrome, Linux, and Firefox
Although CyberGhost does not have advanced features as NordVPN, nor is it as fast as ExpressVPN, it still offers a secure connection and unblocks some of your favorite sites. The VPN provider has a network of over 5,500 servers, including 100 in the Netherlands.
This Romanian-based VPN provider has a lot to offer its users in the Netherlands. Its most attractive feature is the interface, which is divided into various profiles. With just a single click, you can select advanced or basic torrenting or unblocking.
As with the first two VPNs, CyberGhost does not disappoint when it comes to security and privacy. It uses 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection, ensuring that your data does not leak to scammers and hackers. It also operates a no- logs policy and does not log any of your online activities, including the sites you visit or your browsing behavior. You can also simultaneously connect up to seven devices.
- CyberGhost VPN can unblock BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Comedy Central, Sky Go, ESPN, and Eurosport
- It supports torrenting via a dedicated profile, which shows several users and countries
- The VPN can work on Android, macOS, Windows, Amazon Fire Stick, iOS, Chrome, Linux, and Android TV
SurfShark rounds up our review of the 5 best VPNs for Netherlands. It is a reliable, secure, and affordable VPN provider. Although it is relatively new in the market, it has over 1,040 servers in about 61 countries globally, including the Netherlands. It is expanding its network to other countries and adding new servers in the countries where it has already established its presence. The VPN is easy to install and use, and comes with a 30-day trial period.
What makes SurfShark VPN secure is the multi-hop double chain, meaning that your data is encrypted across two serves. Each of the two servers has a separate private DNS. It also offers military-grade protection, with features such as a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and IP masking. SurfShark operates a no-logs policy. It does not store your online activities.
- Surfshark can unblock Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer
- It supports torrenting since it is compatible with P2P clients
- SurfShark works on Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, Android TV, Chrome, and Linux
IPVanish is a US-based provider with over 1,300 servers in over 75 countries worldwide, including about 100 in the Netherlands. This VPN is mainly loved by Kodi users but can be used by just anyone. Itworks on various platforms, routers, applications, and devices.
IPVanish is known for its connection speed, which ensures that you increase or maintain your browsing speed. In terms of security and privacy, the provider has a strict no-log policy and keeps no record of your online activities. It uses 256-bit encryption and perfect forward secrecy. It offers DNS leak-proof protection for extra security and enables connection of up to five devices simultaneously.
- IPVanish can unblock BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Netflix
- It supports torrenting?
- It works on devices such as Windows, iOS, macOS, Fire TV, Android, Linux, Windows Phone, and Chromebook
Best VPNs for Netherlands: Conclusion